September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.
This year, we’re encouraging you all to STEP UP – wherever and however you like.
Our STEPtember challenge is a fantastic fundraising activity. All you need to do is walk, run, or cycle the equivalent of the distance between the hospitals where PASIC supports families facing childhood cancer: Nottingham Children’s Hospital to Leicester Children’s Hospital to Northampton General.
That’s a total distance of 75 miles anywhere you like during the entire month of September.
But don’t worry, if 75 miles sounds a lot, Nottingham to Leicester Children’s Hospitals is 30 miles – that’s just 1 mile a day! Or, if you’re feeling ambitious, our higher target of 150 miles is there and back!
How do I take part?
- Pick your distance (30, 75 or 150 miles).
- Sign up to STEP UP.
- If you want to raise funds for PASIC, get friends and family to sponsor you (or just do it for the challenge and to help raise awareness of PASIC).
- Keep a note of how far you walk, run, or cycle every day in September.
- Tot it up at the end of the month.
Once you’re signed up we’ll keep you one step ahead on our STEPtember challenge, with lots of hints and tips for getting started.
Your STEPtember impact
Your fundraising helps us support over 400 families in the East Midlands living with the devastation of a child’s cancer diagnosis.
This Childhood Cancer Awareness Month we’ll be raising awareness of the extra costs families face when travelling to hospital for a child’s cancer treatment.
By STEPPING UP you’ll be helping us give financial support, supermarket vouchers, essential items and fun memories for families struggling during an extremely destressing time.
Not only is STEPtember a great way to support your local children’s cancer charity, it’s also a great way to step up your fitness and explore the outdoors.
There’s no minimum sponsorship required to take part. Raise as little or as much as you can. But of course, the more we raise the bigger the difference we can make. Together we can make sure no family in the East Midlands faces childhood cancer alone. Raise £100 and you get yourself a free PASIC t-shirt!
Register your interest today and we’ll keep you one step ahead on our STEPtember challenge!
Once you’ve registered, the next step is to SET UP YOUR JUSTGIVING PAGE and start sharing your challenge with friends and family. Remember, it’s not all about the money, we want you to have fun and raise awareness too, but the more we raise the bigger the difference we make.
To see how the challenge is going it would be super helpful if you link your fundraising page with our campaign. Please follow the below instructions to do this:
- Click here to take you to the STEPtember JustGiving page
- Click ‘Start Fundraising’ (you will need to create a JustGiving account if you haven’t already got one)
- Fill out the details and click ‘Create your page’
- Now it’s over to you – this is YOUR fundraising page so get creative and shout about what you’re doing and why. Feel free to create a joint fundraising page if you’re taking part as a group
- Share the link with friends and family and watch the donations come in. If you hit £100 remember to claim your FREE PASIC T-SHIRT.
Tracking your miles
It’s up to you how you track your miles. The most popular way is using a tracking app on your smartphone. They can record your distance, the amount of steps taken and even your elevation whilst walking or running. You can also use a pedometer or fitness watch. But don’t worry, if you’d prefer to stick to the traditional method of jotting down your miles on paper that’s fine too.